Globally, certifications are acknowledged as key in market differentiation and preference when making hiring decisions in many organizations, in that:
1. It indicates professional recognition and expertise, from peers and employers, of significant experience and competence to plan, implement, manage and evaluate the potential of future actions to improve transport management initiatives.
2. It sets the holder apart as an active practitioner who is knowledgeable in current principles and core practices of efficient transport management and administration in line with the emerging developments in the profession
3. It confers on the holder a sense of accountability, confidence, loyalty and continuous strive for commitment to the ethos of the profession
4. It provides an auditable and credible medium and platform for validating the quality of the service of the holder benchmarked against similar/identical body both locally and internationally
5. It establishes and confers the confidence of stakeholders and other recipients of the holder’s service, of his/her currency, business relevance and a measure of quality assurance of his services.
6. It demonstrates and recognizes diligence and commitment to the ethics and professional standards required of practitioners and provides a credible medium for enforcing such standards
7. It serves as an instrument that confers on the issuing professional body, the authority that relates to its mandate under the enabling Act.
8. It sets the framework for disciplinary measures, control and checks against deviations from standards and negligence on the part of the practitioner.
9. It serves as check against unauthorized presentations, representations or performance of the activities of the profession by persons not so duly authorized.
10. The integrity of the profession is reinforced by the upholding of a code of conduct that ensures the highest standards of integrity, ethics and professionalism.